Skip to main content

The Awesome Life of Erika

I feel awesome for a ridiculous reason, but I think that Brent is getting sick of me saying that I'm awesome, so I guess I just want to tell the Blogosphere!

Last night, I had planned to make Sloppy Joes. So, I sauteed the green peppers, and I was part way through browning the turkey (what, you don't use ground turkey in Sloppy Joes? Weirdo.) when I looked in my cabinet and lo and behold: no Sloppy Joe seasoning.

So, what to do? The answer is NOT to run to the store. The answer, of course, is to make it up. This might not be very impressive to some of you, who are probably the most amazing cooks ever, but it's a little bit of a big deal for me. I'm a good cook if I have a recipe, but I'm not always the most adventurous, and so making up my own seasoning for something that I'm accustomed to having taste a certain way through pre-blended seasoning packets was a big deal. This is what happened the last time I tried to step out of my culinary comfort zone and do something creative:
Yeah, that's frosting on Brent's head. I had piped it onto the cupcake to be all fancy (I think it was actually in the shape of a heart...) and then I accidently (or, as Brent tells the story "accidently") dropped it while handing it to him as he was sitting on the couch. Because of the overwhelming amount/weight of the frosting, it landed frosting side down. The picture doesn't do the sheer amount of frosting justice. End of frosting story tangent.

So I got out my spices, smelling them to see if they smelled like something that would go in Sloppy Joes. Season All, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder. I got out a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce. And I went to town. Part way through, things were tasting good, but too tomato-y. I decided to look up recipes for Sloppy Joes online (which I probably should have done first, but I felt fairly confident that my spice mix was a good one) just to see if I was missing anything important. Turns out I was: dry mustard. So, with a few dashes of dry mustard (yeah, I had it on hand. Again, impressive, since how many of your recipes feature dry mustard? I've only used it for meatloaf), and 10 minutes of simmering, I'm proud to announce that my Sloppy Joes weren't only tasty, they were better than the seasoning packet. Take that Western Family!

I guess the reason I feel awesome is that I was able to figure out what should go in Sloppy Joes mostly just by smelling. That seems like a good skill to me. It's probably not that cool. Oh well.

In other, less-braggy news, we thought that Brent might have gluten intolerance, so we went gluten free for about 4 days. This prompted me to finally venture into an Asian market and find the spring roll wrappers I love (the ones you soak in water that resemble a membrane, not the ones you fry), and as soon as I've figured out which vegetable combinations and peanut sauce I really like (I think I need to invest in some thai chili flakes!), I'll post the recipe here. Or link to it. Let's be honest, this is one that I probably won't make up myself.

Also, the rose garden is coming together. The dogs are currently covered in paint, which does not come off their fur with just a bath. We haven't been posting pictures, because the "before" is just a bunch of grass and a brown fence, so we've just decided to wait until it's finished and then we'll WOW you. Or something.

Also, my brother comes home from his mission on Monday! Yay!

Also, all my Wallflowers spontaneously stopped working. Boo!

Also, Brent only has two weeks left of school. Yay!

Okay, I'm done.

Comments

Skye said…
Hey, that is a skill worth bragging about! Way to go with the homemade sloppy joes!
Kristine said…
What a great post. Thanks for sharing your awesomeness.
CiNdEL said…
i'm impressed!

i feel proud of myself when i make new recipes, following a recipe instead of just using a box (or the nearest fast food restaurant) like i used to do! i was also gloating over my version of meatloaf for weeks after it turned out so good. i looked at a bunch of diff meatloaf recipes online and just used whatever i thought sounded good! now i make it regularly.

someday i'll be as cool as you and make up my own recipes by smelling the seasonings BEFORE i look it up online.

can't wait to see your beautiful rose garden and get a delicious thai recipes!
Scott Hill said…
Had a similar experience with a pork roast the other day. Recipe called for Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, etc. Doesn't everyone have those on hand? Oops! Rather than use the smell test, I used the color-coordinated approach. Well, it's green....... About an hour later we had a wonderful roast decked with Raspberry Chipotle sauce (that's another story). It was really good. What do you mean marjoram is different than rosemary?
Tammy Lorna said…
Ummmm, that's a TOTALLY legitimate reason to be awesome. Very very very impressive. My cooking only works when I follow the recipe (and then it's AWESOME). I'm a little 'too' creative otherwise.... and my food ends up being more 'spectacular' then edible...

So go you, awesome-chilli-from-scratch girl!

xo Tammy
That is pretty awesome. I feel good if what I make is edible.

Seriously.
You are completely awesome. I'm a recipe addict--take away my recipes, and I go into withdrawls. Thus, I worship at the altar of your culinary awesomeness.
Emily said…
I believe "super-sniffer" is a super power and that you have it. I, too, do poorly without a recipe and allrecipes.com is my best friend. Don't know why i didn't have your blog on my reader before but I do now so watch out!

Popular posts from this blog

Year of (Almost) No Fast Food: July Update

I'm pretty sure no one reads this blog, so it won't be a surprise to anyone that it's taken me longer to do an update than I meant it to. But I do kind of want to check in at least monthly to see how my year of no fast food is going. Right now I'd say it's going...okay. I did really well the month of June. I think I ate fast food on six occasions: 1. Right before my sister's play, which was allowed because it was date night but we were late. 2. The night before Father's Day, because that's where my father-in-law wanted to go for dinner. 3. & 4. Brent and the boys brought me lunch twice. 5. While visiting my sister-in-law and looking at her new house, we bought everyone lunch. 6. On the way to my parents' house, we got food because I'd just had surgery and couldn't cook. The last week of June, I made an appointment with a surgeon to talk about my pesky gallbladder. It hasn't been giving me a ton of grief, but since Felix was ...

The Brand New Life of Baby Alice

 Preface: This post has taken me a year to write. I'm not even sure exactly when all the edits happened. I started writing on Valentine's day, and then 2020 unfolded from there. This is a birth story, but also a 2020 story, because how could it not be? I'll try to make it clear when there's been a time jump. Here we go!  *** It is Valentine’s Day; I am sitting at my work computer and pumping while my husband and kids play with their cousins since I’m preparing to throw a party for other couples. It seemed too soon to leave our newest babe with a sitter, so here (and there) we all are. It seems as good a time as any to start writing out Alice’s birth story.  This pregnancy was a long one, because I really feel like it started in November of 2018. Back then, I found myself unexpectedly pregnant, a phrase it’s weird to even type because when you experience 7 years of infertility, unplanned pregnancy just doesn’t seem like it will ever be part of your story. Yet, there I wa...

The Brand New Life of Felix: A Birth Story

It is 6:02 AM, and by a cruel trick of the universe I cannot get back to sleep. Sometimes, in those times when I should be sleeping but my brain can’t turn off, I think of all the things I don’t want to forget. I don’t want to forget web team meeting at 12:00 today. I don’t want to forget to buy better picture-hanging nails. But most pressing this morning was this: I don’t want to forget the details of Felix’s birth. And so here’s the story that I wasn’t wrong in thinking it would take me four months to write. Here’s Felix’s birth story. As I wrote in my last post, this pregnancy was hard for me. Physically, it was so challenging, but towards the end it was really mentally tough. Because I was due at the end of December, I wasn’t even sure what year this baby would be born, and for some reason that was really hard. I didn’t know what to plan for. Some time in November, our families kept asking us when we thought would be a good time for family Christm...